Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community.

Don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup and become a member.

Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.

Start new topics and reply to others

Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates

Get your own profile page and make new friends

Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Mr Pastry

Waiter, There Is A Fly In My Soup

7 posts in this topic

I quite like eating outside if it is a nice day and not too hot and also I can enjoy a post gastronomic cigarette in peace laughing.gif

However, flies are an absolute pain in the arse, from the minute the food arrives, they are on it. Apart from placing a turd on a saucer, near by, there is little one can do to discourage the little f**ker.

Now, what do you do when one has dive bombed the meal that you are anxious to eat and has drowned or been scalded in the hot sauce ??

Is it the fault of the restaurant ? I few years back, I ordered a Tom Yum soup and as I tucked into it, I found a fly on it which was on the spoon.

I had no idea whether it was a fresh landing or whether it was there at the time it was plated up. it did put me off, I must admit, but I resisted the old cliché of calling over the waitress and telling her there was a fly in my soup. Being Thai, she would not have come up with the stock answer of replying "well don't tell everyone Sir, they might want one " laughing.gif

Flies, obviously carry germs, and apparently they throw up on the food, or the turd, etc, that they land on, before eating. They are so small of course that we would not know it.

So are the dangerous, ie in causing food poisoning or bacteria ?? I would not have thought so, as they are very small, but never the less, I find it a pain when they start swarming around you when you are just about to tuck into a nice meal

There, my topic of the day sorcerer.gif

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What you need is one of those tennis racket style electric fly swatters, great fun they are!

I have had two of them in the past for mugging Mossies, but lost both of them, leaving them behind at a bar, and forgetting where I had been,

But it is bad for my digestion to play tennis and eat at the same time laughing.gif

A mate of mine had a Thai wife in Shepperton for a while, I was invited over for some food many times for some reason there must be a product in Thai food that attracts flies ?

She was a great cook , from a selfish point of view I was gutted she went back :gathering: Nice bit of nosebag..

Drum`s missus does some great food at home, lovely appetisers too!

I have never met a Thai girl that cant cook, but as Mr P says the flys love it more than English food by a mile, must be the spices ?

One of lifes pleasures is a hi-so cooking some nosebag for me and eating it on the concrete ledge in Slum Towers..

Your spot on that the only tried and tested method of keeping flies of food is in fact to place a fresh steaming turd on the side of your plate,reserch by the university of Mumbai has confirmed this method has an almost a one hundred percent success rate. In fact you'll find many up country food shops in outback Cambodia keep a stash of street urchins in holding pens at the rear of their premises, who can to order produce a hot steaming turd for as little as the equivilant of five baht.

This being such a useful tip maybe admin could move it to newby advice threads .

Your spot on that the only tried and tested method of keeping flies of food is in fact to place a fresh steaming turd on the side of your plate,reserch by the university of Mumbai has confirmed this method has an almost a one hundred percent success rate. In fact you'll find many up country food shops in outback Cambodia keep a stash of street urchins in holding pens at the rear of their premises, who can to order produce a hot steaming turd for as little as the equivilant of five baht.

This being such a useful tip maybe admin could move it to newby advice threads .

Blimey, I thought that was my own remedy and had not realised that it had been scientifically tested already.

I have been keeping a fresh turd in the hallway, during summer, for several years now and it tends to keep them away from the living room, kitchen and the rest of my house. It worked very effectively, but did cause a problem once when the Electric supplier came to read my meter and stepped into the soggy turd, The flies dispersed and made straight for the kitchen, the bastards.girl_devil.gif

Apparently a rotting corpse works as well if you happen to have one handy.

So next time I am ordering in an outdoor area of a Restaurant, I will order a steaming turn as a starter, or bring one with me, that I made earlier

Naaah Mr P the rotting corpse method,although fairly useful,as an alternative,at times like when you've got the runs,or when theres no street urchins available.

The main problems with the corpse method are

1 they take up alot of room on the table

2 unless placed carefully near the food theres the problem of bodily fluid sloshing on to the food which on some occaisions I've found has been less than complimentlyto the taste.

3 many taxi drivers just downright flatly refuse to let you take your corpse in their cab for the drive to the restraunt,motor cycle taxi drivers are a little more

accomodating [ probably because there normally pissed] but they do tend to get really cheesed at having to stop after having cranked the bike over on corners 9 out of ten times the stiff falls off.The only ones that dont seem to mind are the baht bus drivers as long as you pay full fare for both of you their happy.

4 and finally if your not going home after eating,maybe heading to the gogo,you find the mamasans also expect your stiff to buy at least one drink and the odd lady drink,making it an expensive night out.

in conclusion I think the steaming turd method to be far superior,althuogh seeing as a leg just dropped of my stiff,may be tomorrow just for research purposes I'll take this with me .