Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community.

Don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup and become a member.

Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.

Start new topics and reply to others

Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates

Get your own profile page and make new friends

Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bruce Mangosteen

Bogans Grounded!

9 posts in this topic

Are you impacted?

http://news.yahoo.co...-001625287.html

About 70,000 stranded passengers were Sunday desperately hoping Australia's workplace regulator would end the stunning grounding of Qantas Airways' entire fleet over a bitter industrial row.

The national carrier announced its shock decision to lock out union staff and cancel all flights indefinitely on Saturday, a move that left the country reeling and passengers scrambling for alternatives.

The travellers' fate lies in the hands of the regulator Fair Work Australia, which reconvened an emergency three-man panel Sunday.

It could potentially suspend strike action for as long as 120 days so talks can take place, or order a permanent termination to the industrial dispute and so permit Qantas to take to the skies again.

After Prime Minister Julia Gillard took the rare step of ordering in the workplace mediator, a government lawyer told the tribunal the grounding was costing Australia's economy "tens of millions" of dollars each hour.

Gillard appeared to agree with Qantas that the row should be ended with "certainty".

"The government... is seeking to bring industrial action to an end and to have the dispute resolved so we can proceed with certainty with our iconic airline Qantas," she said in Perth Sunday.

She added that the airline needed to function properly and in "circumstances where employees and Qantas know what the future holds for them".

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said earlier he too was seeking certainty and that his planes would fly again if the panel ordered a full termination of all industrial action.

"A termination stops the lockout," he said, adding that a mere suspension of the dispute was not good enough to settle a row tearing the 90-year-old airline apart.

Qantas said more than 68,000 passengers on 447 flights were affected by the grounding of 108 aircraft in 22 cities, with frustrated customers venting their anger at hubs from Europe to Asia and the US West Coast.

[...etc.]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well i sure hope its all sorted out soon im booked on qantas in 3.5 weeks time the dispute has been brewing for some time

well i sure hope its all sorted out soon im booked on qantas in 3.5 weeks time the dispute has been brewing for some time

start the process of getting in contact with one of Qantas's member airlines

Qantas

American Airlines

British Airways

Cathay Pacific

Finnair

IberiaJapan Airlines

LAN

Malév Hungarian Airlines

Mexicana

Royal Jordanian

S7 Airlines

their is rumors that they will take on Qantas customers affected by the strikes.

some people only had to pay a small fee others have said they paid nothing.

If both sides dont budge then it could be a long strike

BA and jet connect are often the ones doing the flying on the wellington-sydney- bangkok run so i figure im in with a good chance ,but i doubt very much the aussie govt will allow it to last very long ,going by the amount of political involvement on the news last night.My understanding its not so much about the $ as it is about job security

Don't fly Qantas as a rule. To expensive for a cheap charlie like me. Would affect my living as a cab driver if I was at home,a lot of my customers fly them.

It has been sorted this morning

Unfortunately only put on the back burner for 21 dys + the option for a further 21 days! 4.2 weeks for me on Thai Air! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's true that the solution is temporary, but I doubt there could be a resumption of the lockout after the expiration of the period for mandated negotiation. According to what I've read, the two parties go to mandatory arbitration after the expiration of the mandatory negotiation period. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/fair-work-ends-qantas-industrial-dispute-20111031-1mqsq.html