XR3X

Money In Bonds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Parkwahn_*

Guest_Parkwahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

If you buy a bond will it count as monies when applying for an over 50s visa, in November the SCB sold me a bond which was paying 3.2% for a year but was a 3 month term ?

It paid a 0.8% , would that count for a retirement visa ?

3.2% net of tax is pretty good for "instant access"

#2 The Tongue

The Tongue

now i know my favourite forum .

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,932 posts
  • Interests:Too many to mention but if it's female and lives in the Philippines then I am very interested.
  • Use Forename?:Yes
  • Use My Surname?:No
  • Post My Photo?:Yes

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

It did when I was first applying for my retirement extension about 6 years ago but now I believe they will accept only 'Savings' and 'Deposit' type accounts. They happily advised me 4 years ago that my 'Income Bond' was not acceptable for a retirement extension visa, luckily I had a 'deposit' account as well.

#3 Guest_Parkwahn_*

Guest_Parkwahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

It did when I was first applying for my retirement extension about 6 years ago but now I believe they will accept only 'Savings' and 'Deposit' type accounts. They happily advised me 4 years ago that my 'Income Bond' was not acceptable for a retirement extension visa, luckily I had a 'deposit' account as well.

Thanks, thats a pity the returns on deposits are not great here...:thumbdown:

#4 fulhamster

fulhamster

getting the hang of it

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you buy a bond will it count as monies when applying for an over 50s visa, in November the SCB sold me a bond which was paying 3.2% for a year but was a 3 month term ?

It paid a 0.8% , would that count for a retirement visa ?

3.2% net of tax is pretty good for "instant access"

Unfortunately the answer is NO.

Immigration want to see that you have "instant access" to at least all of the 800k (or whatever if you are using a pension as part of it)
What I do is get the visa then put some into a 6 or 8 month bond, like you say the interest isn't great but it's better than waht you would otherwise get.

#5 Guest_Parkwahn_*

Guest_Parkwahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Unfortunately the answer is NO.

Immigration want to see that you have "instant access" to at least all of the 800k (or whatever if you are using a pension as part of it)
What I do is get the visa then put some into a 6 or 8 month bond, like you say the interest isn't great but it's better than waht you would otherwise get.

Thats an idea but you lose 3 months money, I had to pay the consul 2400 last year to verify the income thats probably the cheapest route.

#6 archie43

archie43

finally got there .

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts
  • Interests:Outing snides

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

unfortunately its almost impossible at the moment to get a guaranteed investment that will return better than RPI. Equities are the only way but it obviously comes with some risk

#7 ajsp9

ajsp9

getting there .

• Trusted Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Use Forename?:Yes
  • Use My Surname?:No
  • Post My Photo?:No

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

EIS funds are the current vogue. I'm dealing with a company who offer fantastic returns on their renewable energy fund (UK company).